Subject: Re: Another wish (SMTP Id#: 25153) -Repl (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Daniel J. McCoy)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 21:53:35 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded message:
From [email-masked]  Thu Jun  1 11:24:50 1995
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
From: <[email-masked]>  (Alan J. Lloyd )
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Another wish  (SMTP Id#: 25153) -Repl
Date: Thu Jun  1 13:21:45 1995

Paul Davies wrote:

> "Use shadow maps instead of raytraced shadows..."

Yes, I do that.  What I'm actually after is the effect of a true
"softlight" for the wraparound of an object with diffuse light.

Alan Chan wrote:

> "You could also try a spotlight with a soft edge..."

That too.  I know it's sometimes silly to try to get a 3D program
to emulate real-world physics in light transmission, but as a
"real-world" DP, I just love my softlights!  The only other thing
I found myself agreeing with/hoping for was the local coordinates
thing.  BTW, I thank both of you for your input, your
contributions here have universally been well-thought-out and
reasonable in tone.  I like a high s/n ratio here myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Lloyd                                              
[email-masked]
>> All standard disclaimers apply.  Non-standard disclaimers
   available on request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
Daniel J. McCoy                           BIX: dmccoy                
Internet : [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]     
--
[email-masked] (Daniel J. McCoy) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]